Home | About Us | Site Map | CITD Locator | My Profile | Help
The many ways CITDs can help you meet your export-import needs
Special tools for trade newcomers, including Export Readiness Test, Exporting Basics, Export FAQs, and Export Internet Search Wizard
Extensive, searchable database covers all aspects of international trade
A place to post your export-import offers, find buyers and suppliers, and gain worldwide market exposure
Sign up for seminars, workshops, courses and certificate programs taught by trade experts
A schedule of upcoming CITD workshops and seminars, trade events, and networking opportunities
Links to helpful trade assistance organizations, articles and publications



Webcast Media Center

Success Stories











Export FAQs

CHAPTER: Complying with U.S. Export Regulations
2. When does a shipment require an export license? How do I get a license?
  ANSWER: The U.S. and many other countries require an export license—written permission to export particular goods—for some or all shipments. Most U.S. exports do not need an export license and can be cleared by entering "NLR" (no license required) on the Shipper's Export Declaration. Licenses are generally required for goods that might affect national security or U.S. foreign policy, such as weapons, chemicals, high-technology equipment, avionics, related documentation, etc. The Department of Commerce's Bureau of Export Administration(BXA) administers export licenses and regulations. You may ask BXA for advice on whether a license is required, or is likely to be granted for a particular end-use, end-user, and/or destination. This type of request, along with requests for guidance regarding other interpretations of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), are commonly referred to as "Advisory Opinions". BXA can be reached at (202) 482-4811 (Fax: 202-482-3617) on the East Coast, or (714) 660-0144 on the West Coast.

Copyright © 2001 Center for International Trade Development. All Rights Reserved.
Site Developed by Infinite Concepts