Home | About Us | Site Map | CITD Locator | Host College | My Profile | Help
The many ways CITDs can help you meet your export-import needs
Special tools for trade newcomers, including Export Readiness Test, Exporting Basics, Export FAQs, and Export Internet Search Wizard
Extensive, searchable database covers all aspects of international trade
A place to post your export-import offers, find buyers and suppliers, and gain worldwide market exposure
Sign up for seminars, workshops, courses and certificate programs taught by trade experts
A schedule of upcoming CITD workshops and seminars, trade events, and networking opportunities
Links to helpful trade assistance organizations, articles and publications
Articles and Papers
CITD News & Information...
Please Take Our Survey...

Webcast Media Center

Success Stories

Export FAQs

CHAPTER: Preparing and Shipping Goods
6. Are any special certifications required for agricultural and food products?
  ANSWER: Imported food and agricultural products are generally subject to health and sanitary standards in most countries. In many cases, importing countries will accept sanitary and phyto-sanitary certificates for animal, plant and food products issued by approved testing organizations in the exporting country. In the U.S., several Department of Agriculture agencies provide inspection services when certificates are required. For example,

The Federal Grain Inspection Service (FGIS) conducts mandatory inspections of rice, peas, beans, lentils, all grains, and grain-based processed products.

The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) conducts inspections to certify that no pests or mites are present in certain products, such as fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, lumber and logs.

Copyright 2001 Center for International Trade Development. All Rights Reserved.
Site Developed by Infinite Concepts